To: "Development list" <warzone-dev@gna.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Warzone-dev] wdgload utility

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:40:08 -0500 Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
On Friday, 19 January 2007 at 14:19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I got chance to play this wdgload utility Rodzilla sent, but I
have
question on conversions.

I found a file called effects.wdg, and ran the wdgload on it,
and
it made a zip file with the information in it.

There some files named strange like "bd486b8"  they seem to be
binary?
I then happen to notice that is a pcx file???  Why strange names

like that?

Because WDGs don't contain the path/file names but identify files
only
through hashes. One of the reasons to get rid of them.

Yes, you correct.  I found info on berlios list, and Qamly talks
about hashes, and what a mess they were.

In zip is pie & pcx files now, so I need to convert to png then
what about the pie?
Do I convert those also, or something else needed to use?

Convert the PCX to PNG, and adjust the name in the PIE file.

Then how game know to use files?  If I understand what you say, you
talk about direct replacement for current files correct?

What about some of these that use the hash for name?  How to tell
game to use that  hash filename?  Does it not need to be defines
someplace?

Also reading berlios, I think that this means that wrf files
control what is loaded I think.
But how he convert the wrf files to do this?  Or was (is?) there a
newer version of wdgload or something else that handles this?

I sent e-mail to Qamly's address in logs, that address, it didn't
bounce, so I think account is still alive.  Maybe he can help?

I am trying to do gates mod to work with wz as small test for mods.
I think gates will be nice in wz!

Are you refering to the gate mod we did with Elric back in the Pumpkin-2 times? If yes it won't work without source changes unfortunately. Gates would be very nice indeed and they do work well for human players, but it's difficult to make AI use it. Another difficulty is that as far as I remember Elric - author of the custom textures - prohibited using any of his work before leaving the team.

Anyway here's the source:
http://user.supradigital.org/troman/mods/ it's a bit messy, but probably still better then the source extracted from wdg since it contains correct directory structure and correct filenames.

BTW wrf files are not included into the final wdg file after compilation, they only contain instructions for wz and makewdg utility, so it's a bit difficult to reverse engineer wdg files.

Troman