Dennis Schridde schreef:
> Am Dienstag, 6. März 2007 schrieb Giel van Schijndel:
>
>> Author: muggenhor
>> Date: Tue Mar  6 22:21:13 2007
>> New Revision: 854

>> Log:
>>  * Add Vertex base class (bases/vertex.hpp) to derive from for an interface
>> to a coordinate set (x,y,z-coords from listener and sound source) * class
>> soundDecoding:
>>   * Add soundDecoding::getSampleCount() which retrieves the amount of
>> samples contained in the opened audio file (only works when file is
>> seekable) * Remove dual decoding function in favor of the one that
>> allocates a buffer on its own * interface.cpp:
>>   * Modify templated function validID() to also modify the ID number with a
>> constant correction (ID -= 1) * Fix sound_Destroy2DStream to check the ID
>> number for validity before using it * add subclass soundListener to
>> soundContext which is derived from Vertex, this is to handle the listener
>> seperately * class soundSource:
>>   * Removed initialization of OpenAL Source with a bunch of zeros
>>   * fix some error strings
>>   * Derive from Vertex and implement all its interface (virtual) functions
>>
> Maybe we are getting philosophical here, but is a soundListener or a
> soundSource a Vertex? Shouldn't it _contain_ a Vertex?

Yes, it should contain a Vertex. But A) inheriting from a class is (IMO)
mainly to inherit its interface (which in this case is exactly the same
for a soundListener and soundSource). And B) when inheriting class
Vertex into class soundSource/soundListener, class
soundSource/soundListener will contain class Vertex.

Maybe I should call Vertex different. Because I want it to contain XYZ
coordinates, velocity along the XYZ axis, and orientation on XYZ axis.
So if you know a better name describing those three main properties
(i.e. having a position, orientation and speed) please tell me.

Oh and btw philosophy is indeed something on which I gladly spend my
time. ;-)

--
Giel