Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2007 schrieb The Watermelon:
> On 5/12/07, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2007 schrieb Dennis Schridde:
> > > Small update, now in sync with r1265. Also hardcoded the FPS again.
> > > This time to 25 FPS / 40ms.
> > > Anything below 200FPS / 10ms is strongly not recommended. (The game
> > > will not react anymore.)
> >
> > BTW: This means that the gameloop would need to check whether the PC is
> > fast
> > enough for the desired tickrate and if not error out with a message
> > like "Sorry, but your machine is too slow to keep up with the tickrate
> > requested by the server".
> > For the graphicsloop (which will come to existance as soon as I fiddled
> > the
> > graphics parts out of the title- and gameloop) it would probably be
> > required
> > to calculate what the machine can cope with (desired time between frames
> > vs.
> > actual time) and adjust the desired rate accordingly, with a minimum of
> > the
> > desired frametime, which again has to be 10ms (200fps) at minimum.
> >
> > --Dennis
>
> this doesnt sound right...what will happen if one of your applications
> running in the background spikes the cpu during the game?a message pops up
> saying 'your machine is too slow to keep up with the tickrate requrested by
> the server' and terminates wz absurdly?
Well, this message was there to keep the timers from filling the event queue
faster than it can empty it. Which would happen if the machine constantly
needs more time than given between timer-ticks.
But if background apps constantly consume too much time, which would prevent
WZ from accomplishing its task in time, yes, then that message would make
very much sense to me.
Since if you would not terminate (or pause, that would also work), you get
into the situation where you loose events. These might be input or output
events, what would not be problematic (bad for the user, though, since WZ
will resist to respond to his input), but it might also hit the gameLoop
(since it would get totally random at that point) or event active or quit
signals, which would be terrible, since then you can't stop or pause WZ
anymore in a usual way.

--Dennis