Am Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2007 schrieb Per Inge Mathisen:
> On 5/23/07, Christian Ohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Some g++ fixes again.
>
> Most of these are good, but do we need "fixes" of this kind?:
>
> -       buffer = malloc(bufferSize + sizeof(soundDataBuffer));
> +       buffer = (soundDataBuffer*) malloc(bufferSize +
> sizeof(soundDataBuffer));
>
> Please just use -fpermissive, or something, and don't clutter the code
> with useless (and hard to maintain properly) casts like this. It is
> not good C coding practice.
Question:
I've come along things like these before, too.
The problem was that you need to match the sizeof() with the type of var you
want to assign the memory to.
I decided in that case, that it is good to explicitly cast, since then you
will immediately notice that you forgot to change that assignment/allocation
after changing the type of the var.
So I found it to be useful for mallocs at least.

What do you think about this? Are there any problems with an explicit cast?
Why should I not cast?

--Dennis