             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 2.0.8_rc1
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
         Planned Release: None

Details:

I've been playing a few skirmishes with 2.0.8 (latest release) under WinXP,
and I've noticed that my artillery units (missiles & howitzers) always fire
1-2 tiles back from their actual target.

In particular, I've made a skirmish on highgrounds-T2, quickly occupied the
higher ground, and built a few artillery units and a sensor tower.
As they started to shoot artillery rounds down-hill they almost always missed
their target.
As I researched missile targeting and howitzer targeting technology, they
began hitting even less. Only the 1% of rounds missed that accidentally went
1 or 2 tiles further would actually hit the enemy structures...

They seem to have no targeting problems while shooting on leveled ground
though... so it might be a problem with shooting through mountains

PS - I'm leaving the savegame ("wrong target.zip") as an attachment, and a
screenshot too ("wrongTarget.png").
2 hellstorms and 2 archangel missile turrets attacking a research facility
for over 20mins...
If you want you can order my VTOLS to crush down the research facility. Then
artillery will do the same thing to the next bunker around there...

PS2 - I tried turning debug mode on and manually lowered the tiles with the
'A' key. I lowered both the mountain and the research facility tiles down to
zero.
Result: artillery fire 100% accurate...

File Attachments:

Date: Friday 07/12/07 at 19:57  Name: wrongTarget.png  Size: 543kB   By: