Hello,

In bug report #11892, Dennis started a discussion about where we
should track feature requests. I am moving the discussion here since
the bug tracker is not an appropriate forum for this discussion.
Quote:

> Per: I encouraged treating feature requests like bugs when it comes to
> tracking them.
> (a) I dont like to have a dozen trackers
> (b) I dont remember feature requests for long
> (c) I dont react on feature requests in the forums

> Explanation to (c): Most of the stuff posted on the forums is half baked or
> pie in the sky and comes in often, repeatedly and in huge chunks.
> I simply dont have the time to read through all that or even remember it a
> week from now.
> When someone has an idea that went through a few other users' minds (i.e. on
> the forums) and emerged from the states mentioned above, I would like to get
> it reported in the tracker.
> As I do not dislike the idea in general and there was no previous report, I
> also think this was the right place for the request. (Though that might have
> happened by accident, I do not know.)

I am quite sure we have discussed this before, and we made a decision
that we should not put feature requests in the bug tracker, because
this would fill up the bug tracker and make it harder to find and sort
bugs. (And I hope you agree that fixing bugs is more important than
adding features.)

My experience with allowing users to add to a general issue request
tracker is that the tracker becomes unusably bloated, as everybody
(except me;-) is too polite to ever remove feature requests from it.
And users generate (often unrealistic) feature requests at an
incredible rate.

If we want to track feature requests, we should reopen the task
tracker, or find some other tracker for them, and only allow
developers to insert items into it. Also feature requests should be
required to contain sections on use cases and game balance consequence
analysis (see eg how the Fedora project annotate feature proposals).
This way good ideas can be migrated from the forum to the task tracker
in a disciplined fashion. I definitely do not want to see random
feature requests polluting the bug tracker.

  - Per