Hey Dennis,

On 22 Sep 2008, at 16:24, Dennis Schridde wrote:

> Am Montag, 22. September 2008 15:29:09 schrieb Freddie Witherden:
>> Hi Dennis,

>>> That reminds me that we need some way to have backward compatibility
>>> somehow.
>>> Savegame-wise and whatever else might need it. At least so much as
>>> there is a
>>> simple way of conversion.
>>
>> The main problem is game.c. It makes creating new save game versions
>> very difficult. Hence, the tagfile and SQLite proposals for save
>> games.
> It's mainly copying the code, changing the version numbers, and
> changing the
> parts which are different, right?

More complex than that, I estimate that between 400-500 lines are
required per 'version'.

> How far are the tagfile and database ideas? Any progress there? I
> know the
> tagfiles basically seem got stuck after the early phase of
> implementing the
> framework functions...

Not too far along, they would both require weeks of work.

>>> Speaking of conversion: The only thing that makes =2.1_beta4 games
>>> not load in

>>> we just copy that from the original map again? (In a conversion
>>> step, maybe as
>>> an external tool if necessary.)
>>
>> It would be a lot of effort that would only be useful/used in beta5.
>> Furthermore it would need a lot of bug-checking, perhaps more so than
>> getting trunk 100% stable.
> Better than leaving a out a release and letting the ship sink in the
> dream
> that the next release would come anywhere "soon".

To support save games with and without zones would be a massive
undertaking. It would be paramount to adding a large amount of
relatively untested code to a beta release, written under a tight time
constraint, that would only ever be used in 2.1. Writing code for a
single, already outdated release is foolhardy.

This is not a good use of developer time -- which could be better
spent on 2.2 -- ensuring that we never get into this situation again.

>>> You may say, blahblah, it's just 2.1_beta5 and does not offer as
>>> many great
>>> things as 2.2 (which no one can tell me is going to arrive in the
>>> next week or
>>> even month). But we need some backward compatibility layer anyway,
>>> so we could
>>> use this as a testbed...
>>
>> That is what game.c provides, albeit badly.
> So even if game.c sucks, why not use what we have for now?
> And do not forget to implement a better compatibility layer for 2.2+?

The amount of work makes in prohibitive.

Regards, Freddie.