On 9/24/08, Giel van Schijndel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> bugs buggy schreef:
> > On 9/22/08, Freddie Witherden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> This is not a good use of developer time -- which could be better
> >> spent on 2.2 -- ensuring that we never get into this situation again.
> >
> > This about sums it up.
> > Developer time is short, so we need to do what will be best for
> developers.
> >
> > The whole predicament of not having a release for such a long period of
> time
> > *IS* the problem.
>
> So we agree on the problem: "we need a release soon". The difference is
> that I think we can get 2.1 out faster than we can get 2.2 out.

I don't really know what you mean by getting 2.1 faster out the door than
2.2.
We would have to do the same thing for 2.1 beta 5, or 2.2 alpha/beta 1.
Just tag them, and compile it, and then have the build bot create it right?
That takes care of windows.
For linux, all you do is a tarball anyway, so no real issue there.
For macs, I dunno.  I know the mac guys are busy, but I don't see a way
around that, unless we have another mac guy that isn't as busy that can help
out with compiles?

If you were thinking, to remove features from 2.2 for the release, then I
see no (good) reason you should do that.  We *want* to know all the issues
involved with 2.2 (trunk).
We do *not* want to have a repeat of beta 4 again, we do *not* want to wait
many months to find out that someone made something worse, and then they
have no time to fix the faulty patch now.  We *do* want as many testers as
possible.

If it makes you feel better, we can do a multi-release.
By that, I mean have a 2.1 beta 5, and have a 2.2 alpha/beta 1 release
candidate.

That way, we can get more feedback on which version is 'better', and with
the feedback, we can see pretty much see what we should do next.

I really don't want to wait another week (or more) discussing what we are
going to do, it is just a massive waste of time, and in the meantime, people
are still using the crappy beta 4, and the same bugs keep getting reported
again & again, people keep asking about missing videos and so on.

Release them both (ie, 2.1 beta 5 & 2.2 alpha/beta 1), and be done with it.
:)