On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 9:57 PM, bugs buggy <buginato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why?   Look at the code, it isn't that complex in what it does, and
> now that it is in both trunk & branch/2.2, we can have plenty of
> testing  before the release of the next version next week...  Hear
> that testers?  We need your help :)

It's not about complexity, it's about compatibility. I don't care if
it's a one-line change, if people running 2.2.3 can't play games with
people running 2.2.4, then it shouldn't be called 2.2.4. The most
analogous game is Wesnoth, and they have a policy not to break netcode
compatibility on bugfix releases of stable games. In fact, we probably
do too, not that anyone really knows what our official policies are at
this point.

> In case everyone is confused on how this works, if host starts a game
> with ntw mod, they would do --mod_mp ntw (if from source) or --mod_mp
> ntw.wz then that loads the ntw mod.  Now when they host, all players
> *must* also have --mod_mp ntw  or --mod_mp ntw.wz (depending if they
> are running from source or not) and then, once in game, it checks the
> data, and kicks everyone who doesn't have matching data.

Can we just implement the part of my mod loading patch that lets you
leave off the ".wz"? So we don't need to guess when we need the ".wz"
and when we don't?

> If host just starts a normal game with no mods, and a player is using
> a mod, the data check will see this, and kick the player(s).

Can't we send them like maps? And enable/disable them like maps?

Especially if we're going to be breaking netcode compatibility. We
should probably work out a scheme for sending them like maps before we
release a new version. I'm fine with releasing 2.3 beta 1 next week,
but definitely not a final.

-Zarel