On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM, bugs buggy <buginato...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a heads up, I am leaning toward the next release to be 2.3 RC1.

I'm fine with this.

> Working on some tickets that were reported for B3 now, but I don't see
> any real showstoppers yet.

There's some guy on the forums who can't run 2.3b3 but is fine on
2.2.4. Go talk to him. I think his username is SCAVANGER or something?

> With the release of 2.3, we will turn off the lobby server for 2.2.
> 2.0, and 2.1 have already been disabled.

Per our IRC conversation, I feel that "one or two weeks" is too short.
I'm thinking something like six months. The lobby server should be
yelling at them to upgrade the whole time.

Most large projects support versions far older than six months. While
we don't have the manpower to do that, we also shouldn't intentionally
refuse to do something as simple as leaving the lobby on. Remember,
the latest version of Ubuntu will have no version of Warzone later
than 2.2.2 until April 2010.

> You wouldn't believe how many 2.0 and 2.1 people still hosted (or
> tried to host) games!

All the more reason not to retire the 2.2 server so early.

-Zarel