On Wednesday, 11 August 2010 at 21:18, Kreuvf wrote:
> And please don't get me wrong: I am deeply convinced that translations can
> only
> be good (aka consistent) as long as there is one maintainer. I've already been
> through this "everybody can edit translations like stupid" shit at Launchpad
> (translation suggestions wouldn't be any better). It just did not work out
> (apart from the drawbacks of Launchpad): People would just drop in, translate
> or
> change some strings (quality doesn't increase necessarily...) and then you may
> never hear from them again. And in the end the maintainer will just go with
> the
> old version. The only thing that causes is more management overhead, so much
> more that it cannot be justified by the increase in translation quality (if
> any).

Well, it is an experiment currently, to see what it can do. From the looks of
it, we can assign a maintainer to each language, who can then add others to
work together, and commit stuff. So my management overhead decreases
significantly, since I just have to add one person per language, who can then
work mostly autonomically.

> > You mean the "one person getting more and more annoyed because people can't
> > read and nobody else cares" model?
> Please explain this allusion, because I do not get it.

People making the same mistakes again and again, like wrong encoding, starting
from another translation, getting the tokens wrong... despite there being a
wiki page that (hopefully) explains all that. I'm bad at telling people the
same things over and over (well, I can do that, if you don't care about the
tone...), and transifex should check at least some of the things automatically.

> > It should only ever touch files in po/. As long as it does, I'll trust it.
> Of course you cannot trust it anymore, when something different than a file in
> /po is touched, but that does not give any reason for why to trust it at all.

Transifex.net is the main showcase product of Indifex.com. They have a monetary
interest in not having it get compromised.

> Interesting questions: What would be if transifex has been around for a year
> and
> people are more or less using it and then such an incident happens? Would you
> vote for the immediate and permanent ban of transifex?

Revoke commit access immediately. If if gets enabled again depends on how they
handle it.