On Thursday, 20 October 2005 at 18:05, Qamly wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Per Inge Mathisen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 10/20/05, Qamly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Anyway, I fixed it now.  Sorry about this.  I also see there is really
> > > no way to 'delete' (obliterate), so I ended up killing all the files,
> > > and then just did a copy of the revision with the backports into
> > > tags/2.0.2.3
> >
> > I really think we ought to restructure our repository to follow the
> > "standard" svn model. That means, current development in trunk/,
> > frozen snapshots in tags/, and dead-end or to-be-merged-in-later
> > development in branches/. It is really messed up now.
>
> I looked into this, and seems we would have to svnadmin dump
> everything out first, then use svnadmin load to fix it the way you
> prefer.  This will save all the info in the logs and what not.

What's the problem with doing something like the following?

svn delete svn://.../trunk
svn copy svn://.../branches/crossplatform svn://.../trunk
svn delete svn://.../branches/crossplatform

Doesn't need any external space, and keeps the history.

Oh, by the way, tags/2.0.2.3 has no history. How exactly did you create
it? By manually adding all files?

> > > If revision 400 needs data set 459, then it can get that specific
> > > version.  Same with any branch that needs that specific set.
> >
> > So what if the release branch needs a bugfix for some data files that
> > are different in the development branch? This is not at all
> > implausible.
>
> We still could do this, and for every release, we tag the data, and if
> it needs changing, we do it this way.  Yes, we would have to backport
> some fixes doing it this way.

How do you want to tag it? Via a note saying "code revision XXX needs
data revision YYY"?

> Otherwise, I can see us eating up LOTS of HD space, and I am not sure
> at all what the limit is.

As long as you use SVN to copy the files, they should just use once
their size on the server.

--
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.
                -- Leonard Levinson