On Tuesday, 25 October 2005 at 16:21, Mike Gilmore wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is my first time using mailman, so I hope I do everything right...
> Here goes...

Looks right to me :)

> Personally, I would recommend against a conversion of WorldEdit to work in
> Linux.  WorldEdit has many, many, many, ..., many issues and I think that a
> new one should be built ground-up if anyone is ambitious enough to make the
> conversion.

I think the plan is to keep WorldEdit working, so people can make maps
that work with the new data formats, but not port it to Linux.

> Even the Pumpkin developers said the version of WorldEdit they used to
> create the campaigns was extremely unstable.  Even the WorldEdit program
> that they released to the end users (a slightly simpler version than theirs
> with less campaign-specific functionality) was pretty buggy and would
> frequently crash during regular use.
>
> I don't know how many of you have actually looked at WorldEdit's source,

Only Qamly, I think.

> but WorldEdit isn't worth the effort, really, and (I hate to say it) I
> think maps for the game ought to just be rolled out in the unstable Windows
> version until a new more stable, more all-inclusive crossplatform WorldEdit
> can be created.
>
> Also, WorldEdit was created with MFC (VERY windows specific), which pretty
> much axes ANY hopes of directly porting it over to Linux.  Really,
> WorldEdit is a big ugly mess and I don't want you guys to waste your
> precious time working on something that really isn't worth it right now.

I don't think anybody is seriously thinking about porting it to Linux.

> But when it gets to the point where the Dev. Project needs more/better
> development tools, then WorldEdit should be revisited.  And by this, I mean
> TNT'd and completely rebuilt from the ground-up.  We could also get rid of
> Pumpkin's Microsoft Access development tool and integrate it into
> WorldEdit, with a GUI script editor.  That would be pretty cool :)

Get started, then :)

Seriously, this needs input from those making maps (apart from someone
to program it), so a feature list might be a good start.

> >There is one really large file (test.bmp, 45MB, a 4800x4800 bitmap,
> >black wtih dark grey border) that takes most of the used space (90MB
> >because a copy is in .svn). Is this file used for anything? Even if it
> >is, it looks so simple it could be regenerated by a few lines of code...
>
> Well, a few thousand lines of code, you mean?

No. Just a "fill this 45MB with dark grey, and then fill the middle
(yeah, not quite) with black" kind of thing. Easy.

> The bmp is just an overhead WorldEdit screen dump of the map "Rush."  You
> can safely get rid of it, it serves no purpose.

OK. Then I'll delete it. Anything else in there that's useless?

--
Would you care to view the ruins of my good intentions?