Hi Oscar,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I think that composer is great, and I use it a lot in PHP projects.

I recently heard a talk at the Java Users' Group (NOVA JUG) on a similar
problem with maven.  The focus of the talk was using frameworks and
libraries with known vulnerabilities.  Some frameworks and libraries are
not regularly updated, and some use old versions of libraries with known
vulnerabilities.  This is a big problem, especially if you run your code
with super user privileges (see #9 in the top 10 vulnerabilities in
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013-Top_10).  The solution proposed
was to manage your own maven repo so that you have a golden repo at a point
in time.  Sonatype (http://www.sonatype.com/) has such a solution for maven.

By the way, Maven Central has 260,000 artifacts and serves 70 millions
downloads every week
(http://blog.sonatype.com/2010/12/now-available-central-download-statistics-for-oss-projects/).

 Packagist.org has 142 million packages (24,492 packages with 87,349
versions) and about 160 million downloads a month
(https://packagist.org/statistics).

David

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:31:34 PM UTC-5, Oscar Merida wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> If you use composer to install dependencies, you should be aware that
> you should be checking what its actually downloading when you run
> composer install. See this post here:
>
> http://blog.astrumfutura.com/2014/02/composer-downloading-random-code-is-not-a-security-vulnerability/
>

> -Oscar

---
"Washington, DC PHP Developers Group" group.
to washington-dcphp-group+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.