Hi,

Presently iam aslo working on WATIR but as per our manager we need a
GUI to control. Please share your knowledge with me.

thanks,
vasu

On Sep 3, 11:55 am, Manish Sapariya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We use TestLink for managing our tests.http://www.teamst.org/
> We have customized testlink, wehrever necessary, for integration with
> our other test framework.
>
> Regarding GUI testing, I am not satisfied with any of the tools that
> I tried so far,
>
> Autoit,
> Ruby GUITest library
> Variant of accessing COM using ruby
>
> We are evaluatinghttp://www.codeplex.com/whitetool written in C#.
> I am looking forward to access the automation api from Ruby, its work
> in progress. So far whatever we have been able to automate our own
> C# .Net based client, but all the automation code is also in C#.
>
> Just to complete story, cruisecontrol.rb is working like charm for
> our CI processes.
>
> To summarize,
> Watir/FireWatire + Testlink + CruiseControl.rb + our own framework
> works like charm for us.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Manish
>
> Alex Collins wrote:
> > I would second the thoughts of Nathan's email. A large project I  
> > worked on replaced Rational Robot tests with Watir.
>
> > I've also written a framework around Watir (code generation of Watir  
> > code) and used this successfully on several projects with a variety of  
> > tester skill levels. Always having the ability to fall back to Watir  
> > code when necessary, or Ruby if I need more automation or power is  
> > wonderful.
>
> > Once you have a good grasp of both Watir and Ruby, you are on to a  
> > winner.
>
> > I've also implemented a test management app in Rails.
>
> > Sadly, I cannot release the code to these.
>
> > If you would be prepared to pay for an test management app, invest  
> > instead in your own staff's skills. Learn a little ruby on rails  
> > (peepcode.com and railscasts.com were great for me, plus the advanced  
> > rails recipes book) and write one. If you can convince your company to  
> > open source it (I failed) I imagine you'd quite likely get others  
> > involved and get your company a better application.
>
> > With the web / non-web issue, I would probably look for a different  
> > solution that is really good for GUI apps. You don't use a metal saw  
> > to cut wood - it is the wrong specialised tool for the job. Use the  
> > best tool and ensure you can get the results into open formats you can  
> > process. It is easier to teach people two tools that do the job well  
> > than it is to teach one tool which does both jobs very poorly.
>
> > On 2 Sep 2008, at 20:56, "Nathan Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Just to get you started, sadly I don't know of any test managers for  
> >> Watir, but my own QA department (me and my supervisor) were working  
> >> on both a PHP-based and a Rails-based web application to take care  
> >> of the front end. In the process I built a tool that manages when  
> >> tests run and uses a database to store test data, tests, and  
> >> logging. It consisted of two parts, the database and a client that  
> >> runs continually on all systems running tests. Ideally there would  
> >> be a third part (server or controller) and the client would be  
> >> simpler. But it never fully matured. I still have the source code  
> >> and now own the project which means I can contue to work on it  
> >> during work and provide it outside of work as an unbranded open  
> >> source tool.
>
> >> As far as GUI testing goes, Ruby itself has the ability to connect  
> >> to any COM or OLE (and COM-/OLE-like) object. That means for  
> >> OpenOffice.org it connects to UNO, for .NET applications it uses  
> >> something similar to COM (provided the app registers itself as COM  
> >> operable), for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office it uses either  
> >> COM or .NET. There are frameworks built on Ruby to automate many  
> >> common applications, but if you're working on internal applications  
> >> then it may not work out-of-the-box. Nonetheless, Ruby is powerful  
> >> enough to be used as an automation tool in many aspects. Don't give  
> >> up and don't let your boss tell you "you get what you pay for". We  
> >> used to license Mercury (now HP) QuickTest Professional for  
> >> something like $3,000 a year for four licenses and Quality Center  
> >> server application. We were able to write numerous creative a stable  
> >> tests for our web applications -- it's only half that good for  
> >> anything that isn't Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, or COM-
> >> based...doesn't work well with .NET or Java, and it's terrible with  
> >> Firefox 1.5, 2.0, or 3. Basically it just doesn't work. And there is  
> >> no planned support for other browsers with HP QTP. Also we were  
> >> supposedly paying for service and support, and we've had to sit on  
> >> the phone for eight hours at a time to get even the smallest bit of  
> >> help from anybody that HP outsources. So I'd say that Watir is much  
> >> more worth the price than any of the commercial products that say  
> >> they do everything, when they don't.
>
> >> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:04 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> All,
>
> >> I am trying to convince my manager that WATIR is the way for us to go
> >> for our web testing needs.  One of his main concerns is test
> >> management.  Can anyone recommend a test management tool, maybe
> >> similar to Rational Test Manager, that is structured for watir?
> >> Another one of his concerns is that he wants a tool that can handle
> >> both web and non-web applications.  Would anyone recommend rSpec, or
> >> any other ruby/watir related gui testing tool?  Has anyone been
> >> successful with bundling up watir, rSpec(or other non-web tool),  and
> >> some test management tool?   Thank you in advance for all responses.
>
> >> - Shelton
>
> >> --
> >> Nathan Lane
> >> Home,http://www.nathandelane.com
> >> Blog,http://nathandelane.blogspot.com
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Watir General" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
Before posting, please read the following guidelines: 
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Support
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to