I think you've misunderstood some comments that I made.

Someone pointed out that the WatirLogger was in Watir but not in
FireWatir. In response, I suggest that instead of putting it in both, we
remove it. Here is the code in question:

  class WatirLogger < Logger
    def initialize(filName, logsToKeep, maxLogSize)
      super(filName, logsToKeep, maxLogSize)
      self.level = Logger::DEBUG
      self.datetime_format = "%d-%b-%Y %H:%M:%S"
      self.debug("Watir starting")

My point was that it is vestigial. The Watir browser drivers don't use it.

My view is that this should be treated as example framework code, not as
part of Watir. To me, this is just an example of how to use the Logger
class and in fact obscures the fact that it is really a fully featured
logger by making you think it is a special Watir logger.

I agree that logging is an important part of a testing framework. But
Watir isn't a framework. It is just a browser driver.

Can you clarify what you mean by "a generic logger embedded in Watir"?
To me what we have right now is "a generic logger embedded in Ruby that
is made to look like it is part of Watir but really isn't".  Are you
suggesting that you'd like to see it truly embedded in Watir?

I do think there is a need for a standard testing framework for Watir
that includes logging. But i see that as a completely different question.

Bret