Sunil -
You want the Time class which is one of Ruby's core classes (see
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/  <http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/>look for the
Time class).  Here are some examples that may help:

irb(main):014:0> require 'time'
=> true
irb(main):016:0> t = Time.parse("30-11-2008")
=> Sun Nov 30 00:00:00 -0600 2008
irb(main):017:0> t = t + (60 * 60 * 24)
=> Mon Dec 01 00:00:00 -0600 2008
irb(main):020:0> t.strftime("%m/%d/%Y")