I try to use “enabled_popup” function to catch javascript popup.
The code works well like this
def startClicker( ie, button , waitTime= 9, user_input=nil )
  # get a handle if one exists
  hwnd = ie.enabled_popup(waitTime)
  if (hwnd)  # yes there is a popup
    w = WinClicker.new
    if ( user_input )
      w.setTextValueForFileNameField( hwnd, "#{user_input}" )
    end
    # I put this in to see the text being input it is not necessary to
work
    sleep 3
    # "OK" or whatever the name on the button is
    w.clickWindowsButton_hwnd( hwnd, "#{button}" )
    # this is just cleanup
    w=nil
  end
end

$ie = Watir::IE.start( 'test.html' )
$ie.button( :id, 'btnConfirm' ).click_no_wait
startClicker( "OK", 20)
But I found invoke "click_no_wait" will delay the popup for a while,
so I try to use "click" instead:
def startClicker
end
$ie = Watir::IE.start( 'test.html' )
$popup = Thread.new { startClicker($ie, "OK", 40) }
$ie.button( :id, 'btnConfirm' ).click
$popup.join
The code above will pope the javascript window, but won't click the
"OK" button.
And if I click the button( :id, 'btnConfirm' )  manually, the popup
window will be handled:
def startClicker
end
$ie = Watir::IE.start( 'test.html' )
$popup = Thread.new { startClicker($ie, "OK", 40) }
#$ie.button( :id, 'btnConfirm' ).click  # click the button manually
$popup.join