This was just answered in another thread, puts implicitly calls to_s on the
table cell that's returned. So to set the variable to the text in the cell
you'll have to explicitly call it:
tempValue = ie.frame("rightFrame").table(:id,"TableView")[1][2].to_s

Charley Baker
blog: http://charleybakersblog.blogspot.com/
Project Manager, Watir, http://wtr.rubyforge.org
QA Architect, Gap Inc Direct