set watir_browser=ie lines are 'environment variables' you would set at the
command line and not in your ruby script.
On the spage page on the wiki it shows you how to set the browser in Ruby
code.
Watir::Browser.default = 'ie'
or
Watir::Browser.default = 'firefox'
keep expermimenting.

marekj | Semantic Page Objects Automation

Watirloo: Browser Page Helper Framework
http://www.bitbucket.org/marekj/watirloo/
for IE, Firefox and others?