What kind of terminal eimulator you are using, most of these Emulators
support api/ehhlapi to interface with VB or other language for scription.
Once you know that you can implement same functions in Ruby which will make
your too free of cost...

I had done same for our mainframe like emulator which is non standard 5250
or 3270 emulators. One of terminal emulator i know which has scripting is
intelleterm http://www.distinct.com/intelliterm/intelliterm.htm which u can
intregate with word excel for reporting purpose

--
Santosh Solpaurkar
Software Engineer