I have to get back to my Mac later today to check, but I definitely
can't get Safari set as the default. This actually does give me the
same feedback in irb on my system:

>> Watir::Browser.default = 'safari'
=> "safari"

But then Watir::Browser.new attempts to launch FF anyway. I wonder if
the gem installation order affects anything?

As I did a rubygems system update first, then SafariWatir, then
FireWatir last (which also installed commonWatir methods - didn't work
at all with only SafariWatir installed) - I might try that later.

Watir::Safari.new does work though and launches Safari as expected...