One thing that might be useful is to look at the Watir unit tests. For 1.6.2 on
Windows the path to the files would be something like this:

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\watir-1.6.2\unittests

Start with all_tests.rb and setup.rb.

BTW, not sure if the unit tests are all running successfully on 1.6.2 yet, you
may see some errors but that'll probably be OK. The structure used there is a
good starting point for figuring out how to create a structure for running
tests.