ruby -v

ruby 1.8.6 (20008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [i386-mswin32]

 

gem -v

1.2.0

 

Gem update -system

Updating RubyGems

Nothing to update

 

Gem update

Failded to build gem native extension

rake aborted!

 

I cannot find a fix for this.

 

 

 

 

________________________________

From: watir-general@googlegroups.com
[mailto:watir-gene...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Charley Baker
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 12:13 PM
To: watir-general@googlegroups.com
Subject: [wtr-general] Re: "msvcr80-ruby18.dll was not found" error
troubles

 

Something is trying to compile the c libraries. How did you install
Ruby? Which version do you have of Ruby and rubygems? Command line: 
ruby -v 
gem -v

To upgrade rubygems you're typing gem update --system? 

What's the output from 
gem environment




Charley Baker
blog: http://charleybakersblog.blogspot.com/
Lead Developer, Watir, http://wtr.rubyforge.org
QA Architect, Gap Inc Direct



On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Moochie <dduph...@redbrickhealth.com>
wrote:


I'm getting this same error.

I'm also unable to  gems update because I get the following.

Error Failed to build gem native extension

rake blah blah blah

Gem::manage_gems is deprecated and will be removed on or after March
2009

I've search around to fix this, but I'm unable to.

if key in upgrade gems

message upgrad is not recognized.

What does upgrading have to be so difficult.



On Feb 22, 8:21 pm, marekj <marekj....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to throw 2 cents.
> After installing Ruby I always upgrade gems first before installing
> any other gems.
> The 1.8.6 of ruby comes with gems version 0.9.2. I update gems first
> to 1.3.1 and then install watir 1.6.2 and above.
> This migration on 6 machines so far from Ruby 1.8.5 has worked ok for
me.
> and thanks for the write up on the these obscure dependencies.
>
> marekj
>
> Watirloo: Semantic Page Objects in UseCases

> Human Readable Machine Executable Acceptance
Testinghttp://github.com/marekj/watirloo/

>
>
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Charley Baker
<charley.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Jeff et al,
>
> >    Thanks for sending the mail. I immediately saw what I glossed
over when
> > we were chatting, it is in fact the problem I suspected with a gem
that was
> > compiled with Visual Studio 2005 - namely win32-api. For the past
two
> > releases - 1.3.0 and 1.4.0, there are 3 versions of the win32-api
gem:
> > win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-80.gem
> > win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-60.gem
> > win32-api-1.4.0.gem
>
> > Rubygems makes the best guess for your platform when installing
gems, the
> > gems above should rely on your ruby environment to pick the right
one,
> > the first is for systems that match the environment set in the gem
metadata:
> > x86-mswin32-80 - windows Ruby compiled with VS2005 (the msvc runtime
version
> > 8),
> > the second one should match the normal Windows one click installer
version
> > of Ruby compiled with MSVC6,
> > and the third would be installed on systems where you'd compile the
shared
> > libraries for the gem on your system.
>
> > I didn't realize there are now multiple versions of the gem. There's
been
> > some development using VS2005 or minGW to compile 1.9.1 for the next
One
> > Click Installer to replace the over 10 year old, hard to find MSVC6
compiler
> > to create the c extensions and libraries used by ruby and other
gems. I'd
> > assume this new gem 80 is for some of that work.
>

> >  I'mnotquite sure why Rubygems is installing this particular version
in

> > some cases, if anyone is still having the issue or can reproduce it,
let me
> > know. You can force gems to install the right version, but I'm also
curious
> > to see why this is happening.
> > gem install win32-api --platform x86-mswin32-60
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Charley Baker
> > blog:http://charleybakersblog.blogspot.com/
> > Lead Developer, Watir,http://wtr.rubyforge.org
> > QA Architect, Gap Inc Direct
>

> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Jeff Fry <jeff....@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
> >> Al: Yeah, I was referencing that thread above. It pointed toward
Visual
> >> Studio, which I don't have. Charley theorized off list that one of
the gems
> >> on my system might have been compiled using Visual Studio.
> >> Bret: Doh. Typo, but the first error ("msvcr80-ruby18.dllwasnot
> >>found") was occuring when I did anything watir-related, including
valid
> >> things like running tests that used to work or doing
> >> irb(main):002:0> Watir::IE::VERSION
>
> >> That said, I just uninstalled and reinstalled ruby 1.8.5 > 1.8.6,
and then
> >> reinstalled watir...and all seems to be working for me now.
> >> Thanks!
> >> Jeff
>

> >> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Bret Pettichord
<b...@pettichord.com>

> >> wrote:
>
> >>> Jeff Fry wrote:
>
> >>> > irb(main):003:0> Watir::IE::BROWSER
> >>> > NameError: uninitialized constant Watir::IE::BROWSER
> >>> >         from (irb):3
> >>> This is correct, and what I get too.
>
> >>> There is no such thing as Watir::IE:BROWSER.
>
> >>> Bret
>
> >> --
> >> Jeff Fry
>
> >>http://testingjeff.wordpress.com

> >>http://associationforsoftwaretesting.org- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

 





--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Watir General" group.
To post to this group, send email to watir-general@googlegroups.com
Before posting, please read the following guidelines: 
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Support
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
watir-general-unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to