Try this:

def connect(path_file)
   excel = WIN32OLE::new('excel.application')
   @my_workbook = excel.Workbooks.open(path_file)
end

def disconnect(path_file, workbook)
  workbook.SaveAs(path_file)
  workbook.close
end

Then you can call your methods like this:

connect("C:\\Spreadsheets\\MySpreadsheet.xls")

#read and write to @my_workbook

disconnect("C:\\Spreadsheets\\MyNewSpreadsheet.xls", @my_workbook)

If you're hoping to have more than one spreadsheet open at a time,
you'll run into trouble.  In that case, it may be easier to just open
each spreadsheet and close it without using the methods since each
method is only a couple lines of code anyway.

I hope this helps!

-Tiffany