It's MUCH more than a month, but I thought I would report back on what we
tried where we met with success.

We tried the following:

1> A manual tester writing test cases and doing manual testing. An
"automation tester" wrote methods needed to exercise  functionality and
handed it over to the manual tester, who then had to "convert" manual test
cases into test data for the watir script (i.e., populate an Excel sheet)

This approach didn't work AT ALL. The automation tester got focused on the
beauty of well written code and the manual tester got tied up in knots
trying to populate the Excel sheet of data, which seemed really alien.

2> The next approach we tried was to have an automation tester automate
product functionality for which development had finished and wasn't actively
being worked on.

IMO, this proved to be fairly wasteful and pointless.

3> The approach that we currently follow: Dev/Test work in two week
iterations. While devs work on developing a story, testers work on
understanding the functionality and generating test ideas. When a story is
dev complete, the tester first tests manually and after reporting bugs, if
there are no blockers, works to automate the tests.

This approach works pretty well because IMO we have managed to create a
structure that is simple enough for non-programmers to work with. We use the
Ruby Unit Test framework and use asserts to write tests that look
ridiculously simple (see below). Each iteration we manage to automate some
percentage of our tests, which is much better than 100% manual testing all
the time.

class TestCreateNewEmployee< Test::Unit::TestCase
  include NewEmployeePayslip_Methods
  def test_0010_create_new_employee_mandatory_fields

    tc = '0010'

    test_data =  get_input_data(tc, EMP_SHEET)    //gets a row of data from
an Excel sheet
    create_new_employee(tc, test_data) //populates the screen with data from
the Excel sheet
  end
end

The cons of this approach is that some manual testers have a mental barrier
to automation (since it involves writing "code").

4> The approach that we are currently exploring is to see if we can use
Cucumber instead of Excel to document our test scenarios.

Can somebody point me to a good, current Cucumber/Watir tutorial? I've
looked at http://vimeo.com/2871256 already.

Thanks,
Bhavna