When I reverting back to my initial code, it does not work now .
The error occurs while executing startup() function.
My test cases start with the following code:

$: << File.expand_path("c:/watir testware/libraries")
require 'setup'
startup()

The setup library has the following code:
# load all supporting libraries
require 'watir'
require 'DSlib'
require 'general'
require 'win32ole'

def startup
# redirect stdout to results file
  @orig_stdout = $stdout

  $base = "http://crisp.adoc.xerox.com:8080/docushare/dsweb/";
  $ie = Watir::IE.new   # I believe it fails here

# get results file name
  rfile = str_get_last_element( $0, '/' )
  rfile = rfile.split( '.' ).first
  $stdout = File.new("c:/watir testware/results/" + rfile + ".txt",
'w')
  puts "Inside startup."
end
The problem happened after I wrote the following innocent code, which
works fine:

def ex_get_value( excel_file, header )
  require 'win32ole'
  app = WIN32OLE.new( 'Excel.Application' )
#  app.Visible = 1
  wb = app.Workbooks.Open( "C:/Watir Testware/Scripts/
cm_CreateCollectionAsCPXUser.xls" )
  ws = wb.Worksheets( 1 )

# number of used columns in the worksheet
  col_total = ws.UsedRange.Columns.Count
  for i in 1..col_total do
      v = ws.Cells( 1, i ).Value
      break if ( v == header )
      if i == col_total
        puts "No column with #{header} header was found."
        app.ActiveWorkbook.Close( 0 )
        app.Quit()
        return
      end
  end

  puts ws.Cells( 2, i ).Value
  app.ActiveWorkbook.Close( 0 )
  app.Quit()

end

ex_get_value( "C:/Watir Testware/Scripts/
cm_CreateCollectionAsCPXUser.xls", "password" )

But now the startup() code stopped working.
May be I need to kill some processes?

Thanks,
Vladimir