I many cases, the most important thing to understand when dealing
with
popups is to know what KIND of popup you are seeing.

The tutorial for Watir covers most of the common kinds of popups, and
gives some suggestions of potential ways to deal with each of them.

Even if you've been through it once, I recommend repeating that
section and pay particular attention to the descriptions of the types
of popup windows, and try to figure out which type you are faced
with.   Once you know you are a lot closer to a solution as it allows
us to narrow things down a bit and rule out approaches that are known
to not work with that kind of popup