is the login page set to remember you? or is there a recent session or
cookie hanging around?  I don't think it's ACTUALLY logging you in, I
think the browser is just coming up that way.

did you try executing these steps one by one in an IRB session?

The error you are getting would indicate it had a problem identifying
something by the name of login.. that's far above the step where you
think it's failing.

Is there white space in your real script that's not shown below, the
error seems to come from line number 9 which is a comment in the
script below, and obviously cannot cause an error  whatever is
actually on line 9 in your script (I suspect the attempt to set the
login name) is what failed.