Hello, Bret.

I wrote that comment two days after you resolved the issue, two years ago :)

Basically, the workaround iterates the open windows through the ShellWindows
object instead of Shell.Application

After some initial research, I found this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/940998 to be only article close
to an explanation to this problem, but I'm using IE6 and not IE7.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to reproduce this bug as I used WinXP, Ruby
1.8.2 and Watir 1.5.1.1190 back then and the environment is completely
different this time (Win2K, Ruby 1.8.6 and Watir 1.6.2).

The Win32OLE exception was raised this time when I tried to attach to an
existing IE window with "@ie = Watir::IE.attach(:url, /10.200/)". Back then,
it happened after trying to create a new IE window with "@ie =
Watir::IE.new".

I'll install a virtual machine at home and investigate this problem further,
testing under different versions of Windows and IE.

FK