I'm having similar problems working with double byte unicode, like
Japanese and yes, I'm certain the problem is with the jssh extension -
unfortunately, I don't know of any real solution and given that jssh
is abandonware, it's very hard to get any help with it on any
platform. Unicode works for me when it comes to getting values from
the browser, e.g doing this on button with a Japanese value, will
work:

@browser.button(:id, "btn_back").value.should == JapaneseString # I
have to load the string from an Excel sheet though to avoid problems,
so the assertion checks against a variable or constant that is loading
the string content from within the Excel file...

But setting a text_field with unicode, like:

@browser.text_field(:id, "whatever").set(JapaneseString) # again

results in garbage characters... The "value" method does not work
either:

@browser.text_field(:id, "whatever").value = JapaneseString

I'm not sure jssh can even be compiled with proper unicode support,
but I just don't know enough about it to be able to try on my own...
Sorry I didn't have any real solution for you...

Regards,

John