I can get the hwnd no problem (multiple ways).
Unfortunately watir doesn't provide a way to attach to an embedded browser.
If you use the attach method and pass a hwnd it will fail because watir will
check all regular IE instances for the hwnd you passed in, and.. If you hwnd
isnt in that list it will fail. If your curious what is going on, check the
self.each method of Watir::IE. I also explain it on my blog.

The attempt at a solution on this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general/browse_thread/thread/0479a9e9e608c009/d393c20553fbca42?lnk=raot

seems to have gotten close (I dismissed his code until i began researching
the issue and found out what he was trying to do -- which is translate the
autoit IE.au3 function which does exactly what we need, into  ruby.

--
Matt Wolfe