Alan,

I've just had a very quick poke around and although I think that the
code ought to allow you to do this in the manner you are doing, I
don't think it is implemented for Firefox. I think there should be an
options() method on the Firefox class / instance (didn't pay much
attention) to support this, with this used for configuration options.
FireWatir actually takes the options through the constructor method
right now.

Instead, try this for the time being:

b = FireWatir::Firefox.new(:waitTIme => 20)

I have raised WTR-315 for this issue; but if wrong am happy to be
corrected and the bug closed.
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR-315

FYI: I've got patches in my GitHub fork to get rid of the timeout
value in a future release - instead using a connection timeout during
which period we retry connecting. See the development list archives
for more information. If the patch is accepted, then hard-coding this
value for the present is not really an issue.

Alex