Let me chime in by trying to restate the problem and why this idea got
started in the first place.

1. The current home page for Watir (at wtr.rubyforge.com) is hard for
the community to update. It is a webgen-based website, stored with the
Watir code base. Any one with commit rights to Watir can modify these
pages. They also need admin rights to our Rubyforge.org account to post
updates. To date, only Charley and I have updated this website. Before
we moved it to webgen (when it was only one or two pages), Paul Rogers
and Jonathan Kohl also update these pages.

2. People find it confusing that there is no single place where all the
Watir information can be found. This makes them wonder about the
community and worry that maybe they are missing something important. At
the same time, I do believe that all the Watir websites are indexed from
wtr.rubyforge.org.

3. Paul owns watir.com. It currently redirects to wtr.rubyforge.org, but
could be pointed elsewhere. We also have the ability to redirect
wtr.rubyforge.org to another site.

4. It was unclear whether it made sense to keep Watir at openqa, as it
was moving to a selenium focus. For a couple of weeks indeed, openqa was
renamed seleniumhq.

With this background we made the following plan:

A. We would migrate the confluence and jira from openqa to our own server.
B. We would make the home page of the watir project be in confluence,
based on a design by Alister (that used a newer version of confluence).

Charley ran into snags with A, and now we are looking into other
alternatives. Some of the alternatives, frankly, seem to be coming from
left field, so I am wondering whether there are additional concerns that
people have, or whether they are simply confused as to what our goals are.

When we started this discussion, the Watir source code was stored in SVN
at openqa. Since then we've moved it to Github. Some people seem to be
acting on the idea that our goal is to keep everything together, and
thus we'd move the wiki and bug tracker to Github as well. I don't think
that it is practical to migrate from confluence to the wiki on Github.
Github's wiki is not that great, and we would have to lose a lot of
information, data, formating, understandability if we did this. I have
heard good things about Github's bug tracker, but am still unsure
whether it would be worth the trouble to migrate all the data. We
currently have an enormous investment in Jira: history, reports, etc.

One nice thing about Jira/Confluence right now is that people can use a
single sign on for both. This is a feature provided by openqa, that
would take some work to replicate.

The biggest problem, in my mind, with Jira right now is simply that not
enough attention is being given to reviewing the bug reports that are
made with it. But this is probably an issue for a separate thread. Let
me just say this: If someone were to propose that we move to a different
bug tracker because it would make it easier for them to review and
respond to bug reports, then I would be all ears.

So it seems to me that we are now down to two options. Both of these
keep confluence and Jira at OpenQA.

1. Replace wtr.rubyforge.org with a wordpress instance.
2. Move the homepage to confluence, perhaps getting Patrick to upgrade
the software.

To my mind, #2 has a few more advantages. Mainly it simplifies things by
having one less site for users to find/understand and one less system
for us to maintain. But frankly I'd be happy with either as an
improvement over what we have right now. (#1 would be easier for more
people to support and has nifty plugins.) I'm happy to defer to Alister
on this point, following the implementer's rule: whoever implements it
makes the rules.

Bret

--
Bret Pettichord