The script below logs in using basic auth.  I have got the script
below to work with IE (see below).  Is there a way I can do something
similar with firewatir?  I get the following error if I use firefox:
===================
C:\svn\ruby\scrap>ruby 03.rb
03.rb:22:in `basic_auth': undefined method `send_keys' for
#<FireWatir::Firefox:
0x3221174> (NoMethodError)
        from 03.rb:34
===================

Alternatively, I could log in as:
http://myusername:mypassw...@www.someplace.com
However I still get a confirmation prompt that says:
You are about to log in to the site "www.someplace.com" with the
username "myusername".

I don't know how to get rid of this confirmation box either.

Either solution will be fine, but it would be great to be able to do
this in firefox.

Here is the basic auth script that works for internet explorer (it
came from
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Basic+Authentication?focusedCommentId=18382879):

require "watir"
# To get this script to work:
# Solution 1 (didn't work
#require 'win32ole'
#
# Solution 2 (did work), enter:
# cd "C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\watir-1.6.2\lib\watir"
# regsvr32 AutoItX3.dll

class Login
        def basic_auth(secure_site_url)
          # Internet Explorer instance is called $ie, initialized elsewhere
like so:
         #$ie = Watir::IE.new

          @user = 'myusername'
          @pass = 'mypassword'