I posted questions a while back about having a Celerity-style driver for
Watir.  I've got an interim solution, which also helps me solve/work
around issues in differences in behaviour between different Watir
drivers.  It doesn't give me a native 'browserless' solution running on
Windows, but it does at least let me run the same scripts using
Watir/Ruby-Win32 and Celerity/JRuby.

Anyway, I've documented my first-cut, rough solution on my blog at
http://www.software-testing.com.au/blog/index.php?itemid=88.  I'd be
happy to have feedback, and hopefully it helps someone.

Jared
http://www.software-testing.com.au/blog/