Some great points Jared,   for me it comes down to this..

There are probably a ton of great things I could do using Ruby, but
unless I'm sure one of them will pay back the time investment to
figure out how to do them, I likely won't get around to them because
I have so many other things that I NEED to do with regard to my
testing etc.

For Most folks, unless their company uses oracle, if they connect to a
db, it will be whatever their company uses, or mysql if they are doing
it on their own due to the cost of licensing for the 'big boys'  (well
ok SQL Express is pretty close to free, but not a lot of folks know
that unless they already use MS-SQL)

I for one would welcome any handy info that is oriented towards the
needs of test and QA regarding how to do xyz using ruby.   To a degree
the book Everyday scripting with Ruby covers some of that, since
{whisper} it was originally aimed at testers {/whisper}

I agree Ruby is super useful stuff, and the more you learn the more
you can do with it.  But I know many of us are in that 'learn what I
need to know right now' mode and don't get a chance to explore
possibilities beyond immediate needs of what we are testing at this
very instant.