most of the attachements appear to be empty.  (nor for that matter, am
I sure that Elcom would be terribly happy if you posted all the code
for their app.)

Unless there is a test or demo site that could be accessed via the
internet to sort of 'play' with the application we may be limited here
to just giving you general advice as to how to approach solving the
problem.

Watir isn't hard to learn, at least not the basics.  Unless you are
new to web UI testing and also trying to learn how HTML, the DOM,
javascript, HTTP, etc all work at the very same time, and/or are
completely new to programming or scripting of any kind.  in that case
it can take weeks.  If you are new to all of this, the expect to spend
time learning some basic coding skills along with how web UI's work in
general, because basically no matter what tool you use (and no matter
what the tool vendor promises) trust me you WILL end up having to
learn a far bit about web based technology to effectively write
automation against it.  The same goes for getting up to at least a
basic level of profficiency in the language your tool uses be it Ruby,
Java, C#, VB, or gods-help-you some propriatary vendorscript language.

  But if you are familiar with web UI testing and the tech behind it,
and have at least a little experince coding or scripting in any
language, then you can probably pick up water and ruby  in a few hours
(for the basics) by going through the tutorial.  Enough to get
yourself to a point where you could try a few things against your site
to see if you can figure out the right .fire_event calls you'll ned to
use to make it dance to your tune.

  If you have the foundational skills needed for the job, then I'd say
a day or so maybe to be able to install ruby and watir, go through the
tutorial and start trying stuff to see if you can get it to do what
you need.   depending on complexity of your site of course, and how
rapidly you pick stuff up.