sorry for my last post, ie.ie.stop really works.
here is my code snippets, ie would be stoped when the readyState is
interactive.
require 'rubygems'
require 'watir'
require 'watir/ie'

ie = Watir::IE.new
ie.maximize

@thread = Thread.new do
  loop do
    sleep 0.5
    p ie.document.readyState
    if (ie.document.readyState =~ /interactive/)
      ie.ie.stop
      break

ie.goto 'www.google.com'