Hi Tony,
Thanks for trying to help me out.
Here is the ruby script. The app is a servlet. Onmouseover works just fine,
also fire_event("onmousedown") works, but this opens a modal dialog and the
program is stuck on the fire_event line.

require 'rubygems'
require 'watir'

class RunProg
  def Run()
    puts("Inside Run")
    ie = Watir::IE.new
    ie.goto "app_link"
    e = Watir::IE.attach(:title, /APP Title/)
    e.button(:id, "menu_button_id").click
    d = e.div(:id, "sub_menu_div_id")
    t = d.table(:index, 1)
    r = t.row(:index, 1)