This code snip says it takes about 36 seconds for download complete

require 'watir'                         # use watir gem
 test_site = 'http://www.igindex.co.uk'     # set a variable
 ie = Watir::Browser.new                  # open the IE browser
 ie.goto(test_site)                       # load url, go to site
 ie.maximize()
 sleep(2)
 ie.bring_to_front()
 puts ie.down_load_time.to_s

I assume you dont care if its complete, just that some object is
visible or exists?