i think the each is done by including enumberable (
http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Enumerable.html)  module ( it was way back
anyway), so any methods in the enumberable module should just work:

ie.buttons.each_with_index do |button, i|
     puts "index for bytton with id #{button.id} is #{ i + 1 } "  # watir is
1 based, each with index is 0 based
end

Paul