Hi Edith,
Try putting the "myFrame" under the describe in a "before :each" or
"before :all" block.

Chandu

On Jan 28, 4:34 pm, Edith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to understand the scoping of the browser variable that is
> created in itest2 generated code. When I copy this code into an "it"
> block or into a "def" block in a watircraft generated method then I
> get no errors.
>
> When I try to reference the browser object in the "descrbe" block in
> the test spec, I get a NameError.  For example, the code:
>
> $LOAD_PATH.unshift File.dirname(__FILE__) unless
>   $LOAD_PATH.include? File.dirname(__FILE__)
> require 'spec_helper'
>
> describe "some text here" do
>  it "should do something" do
>     myFrame=browser.frame(:name, "someFrame")
>     myFrame.text.include?("Name").should == true
>  end
>
>  it "should do something else" do
>     myFrame=browser.frame(:name, "someFrame")
>     myFrame.text.include?("Name2").should == true
>  end
> end
>
> works just fine but the following:
>
> $LOAD_PATH.unshift File.dirname(__FILE__) unless
>   $LOAD_PATH.include? File.dirname(__FILE__)
> require 'spec_helper'
>
> describe "some text here" do
>  myFrame=browser.frame(:name, "someFrame")
>
>  it "should do something" do
>     myFrame.text.include?("Name").should == true
>  end
>
>  it "should do something else" do
>     myFrame.text.include?("Name2").should == true
>  end
> end
>
> throws the following error:
>
> C:/watir/ae_user_preferences/test/specs/
> verify_up_general_content_spec.rb:6: undefined local variable or
> method `browser' for Spec::Example::ExampleGroup::Subclass_1:Class
> (NameError)
>         from C:/ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.2.9/lib/spec/example/
> example_group_methods.rb:183:in `module_eval'
>         from C:/ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.2.9/lib/spec/example/
> example_group_methods.rb:183:in `subclass'
>         from C:/ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.2.9/lib/spec/example/
> example_group_methods.rb:55:in `describe'
>         from C:/ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.2.9/lib/spec/example/
> example_group_factory.rb:31:in `create_example_group'
>         from C:/ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.2.9/lib/spec/dsl/
> main.rb:28:in `describe'
>         from C:/watir/ae_user_preferences/test/specs/
> verify_up_general_content_spec.rb:5
>
> I don't understand why the browser variable isn't "known" at the
> "describe" level but is in the "it" block of my test spec and in the
> "def' blocks in the module methods associated with my watircraft test
> suite.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Edith

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Watir General" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
Before posting, please read the following guidelines: 
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/Support
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/watir-general

Reply via email to