Found the solution to the problem. (Needed to do a lot of searching to
get this right - solution was quite scattered around).

Here is what I added to make the modal dialog accessible,

       dialog = ie.modal_dialog(:title, "<title>")

       dialog.text_field(:name, "txtSearchString").set "ABC"

       dialog.button(:id, 'btnSearch').click

       dialog.button(:id, 'btnOK').click

Thanks to all of you for the help.