That's definitely true, this method has generally only been used with
page_checker. We don't have tests for it, and no one on the current core
team is using it. It's definitely a good piece for cleanup, if you're
willing to take it on and submit a github pull request, please do.
Otherwise, you can submit a ticket on jira -
http://jira.openqa.org/browse/WTR - let us know if you need help with either
of those.

-c