I personally don't think what you're proposing is too radical.
If people aren't committed, Stack Exchange won't work.
I personally dislike the number of complex rules, voting and hierarchy
associated with stack exchange stuff. I think it's a bit OTT.
I am happy to support any other options you think will work.

Cheers,
Alister Scott
Brisbane, Australia
Watir Wiki Master: http://watir.com