Personally I've used WatirGrid[1] with great success, I used it to drive 50
browsers concurrently. 50 is not the ceiling, I was just limited by how many
boxes I had at hand.

The limitation with browser based testing is the resources required on which
to drive the browsers! BrowserMob have reduced this (but they only support
Selenium). I'm thinking of something similar for Watir users. I've also been
experimenting with headless tests (watir-webdriver with htmlunit) with a
fair amount of success, which increases your bang-for-box. I'll talk about
some of this at Watir day in any case.

In my experience, not every load test is thousands of users. I've load
tested some awful intranet apps that have fallen over well before 100 users
... So you may get some mileage out of Watir yet ... Protocol level testing
is probably better for load tests with thousands of users though based on
bang-for-box. I expect there's an undiscovered sweet spot somewhere there
where the cost per vuser shifts in favour of protocol level (when using
commercial licensed tools) testing.

Cheers,
Tim

@90kts