(re-sending, I don't think it got sent for some reason)

Now I am able to type text into the hidden field, but after looking at the
links Chuck recommended, the code from Paul, and lots of other Googling
around, I'm still flummoxed on trying to get the event to fire.

Here is the html:
         <select dojoType="dijit.form.FilteringSelect" id='advisorId'
name='advisorId' onchange="javascript:selectPlanAdvisor();">
                    <option value="0"  selected >
                No Advisor
            </option>
                    <option value="3785" >
                FERNANDEZ, KEVIN S
            </option>
            </select>

Here is what I've tried to try to fire the event:
 ie.hidden(:id, 'advisorId').fire_event("onchange")

This returns a value of "yellow" in irb (WTF?) but does not fire the JS.

One of the Java developers here tried to help, but he's as baffled as I am.
Any other suggestions? I will have many scripts broken because of this, and
I depend on those scripts to help with our exploratory testing as well as
testing releases to the staging environment. I don't want to lose them!

thanks,
Lisa