In Watir the locating of the element will be done automatically - why
not use the same approach in Watir-WebDriver? Is there any good reason
to do that?

It just sucks that i can't write code similar to this in watir-
webdriver:
container = browser.div
# do something, which obsoletes the element, but makes it exist again
container.do_something # this should work

As i understand from your gist then #do_something won't work unless i
specifically tell again that container = browser.div. Why?

Jarmo