It's still there in IE8.   whether it enables or not depends on
several things,  browsing local subnet sites vs internet, settings for
UAC if running of Vista or Win7, and if you started IE 'as
administrator' or not.

What I've found sometimes solves this kind of issue is to go into the
Internet Security Properties UI and set all the zones that may be
encountered when running a script to the same zone, most often
'trusted'  Then also make sure your homepage, and the page displayed
when any new tab is opened are also set the same way, that includes
'about:blank' and 'about:tabs.

Another thing that can sometimes make a difference is opening up your
command line session (that you run your scripts from) 'as
administrator' as this can affect the security settings in an IE
session launched via that CMD window.

What's happening is that as a type of protection against cross site
scripting attacks, whenever the browser changes security zones, it
basically destroys the instance that was running in the old context,
and creates a new one.  When that happens the underlaying
identification of the window changes, and watir looses connection to
the browser.  You need to either attach, or use the watir-webdriver
methods to change to the appropriate browser window just as you would
have to do if you had closed and re-opened IE.   That's probably not
accurate in a very technical sense, but it's close enough to
understand the nature of the problem.

For more info, see here
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx
and/or do a bunch of googling for protected/protection mode and IE8